Monday, January 18, 2010

"Conduis-moi et marche avec moi..."

Hey everyone!

This week was so much fun! :) There were a lot of exciting adventures...I just loved it. Transfer calls were on Saturday and Elder Cowley, one of the APs, LOVES to make a huge deal out of it. We had our guesses and were content with those, but then he talked to us almost every day to give us new clues and try and deny old ones that he had given us. We knew that when he called on Saturday it was going to be a HUGE deal and he would drag it out FOREVER, so we asked our zone leader to call us as soon as he got his call and let us know where we were going so that when Elder Cowley called, we could act like it was no big deal. It turned out so perfectly :) We got home at around 7 and had dinner and then started our transfer night party! Basically we just played UNO, told some apostasia kind of stories (some of the missionaries have done some bizarre things..) and waited for the phone call, and then did egg white facials afterwards. It was so funny though; while we were playing UNO we got a call from a private number. It was around 9:00 and they generally start making the calls at 8:30, so we assumed that it was Elder Cowley and the private part was just another part of his making it into a huge deal so we wouldn't know if it was the zone leaders calling us (they call if everything stays the same) or if it was the APs to tell us things had changed. So we answer and the guy asked for me in kind of an odd Mexican accent and we all thought it was one of the elders just faking it. He said his name was Carlos and I didn't remember a Carlos at all, so Sister Morse thought it was Elder Velarde and Sister Williams thought it was Elder Pratt. Either way, we were pretty sure it was from another missionary. I asked his name again and how I knew him and he said that we had met at Lionel-Groulx metro about a week ago and I had called him the night before and he was just returning my call. That's when I remembered that I really HAD met a guy named Carlos, and called him the night before, and he really was interested. So I set up an appointment while my comps just sat and laughed...we were all SO SURE it was another missionary; pretty funny :)

Anyways, so after that phone call we got another call from our zone leader saying that "really quick" he wanted to tell us what was going on and said that Sister Morse and I were staying and that Sister Williams was being transferred. We were SHOCKED. Sister Williams asked where she was being transferred and Sister Morse and I just looked at each other trying to figure out what in the world was going to happen next transfer when 3 sisters leave and 3 new ones come out and we're the oldest...someone would have to flush in an area. the zone leader told Sis. Williams she was being transferred to Quebec and she freaked out...then he just laughed and said it was the opposite, they were staying and I was going to Quebec. So I'm leaving tomorrow for Quebec with Sister Pearson, which should be so fun! She was up there for 2 transfers right before they closed the area, so she knows all the people and where everything is. It will definitely be different from Montreal: for one, I'll be speaking ONLY French, and 2, there will only be about 10 other missionaries and none of them will be anywhere close to me. As opposed to now where there hasn't been a day that I haven't talked to multiple sets of other missionaries. But it will be fun; I'm really excited. And everyone has complete confidence in me...I had SO many members yesterday come up and say they were so sad to see me go and had no idea that this was my first area; i just fit the role of a missionary so well. Hopefully that sticks when I'm up in Quebec!

Other things for this week: Pday was SO much fun last week! We wanted to walk on the Jacques-Cartier bridge to take some good scenic pictures, but it was closed. So Elders Jest and Laforney and us decided to find a different bridge (we decided that was a better idea than hopping the fence and breaking the law...). We parked in the parking lot of a building (turns out it was the Montreal Port Administration building) and walked along this cliff about 15 feet above the bank of the river to get to this other bridge we had found that was closed to cars. We never made it to the bridge, but had a great time playing in the snow...it came up over my waist in some areas and it was just so much fun. I took a step at one point and sank down so far that I couldn't get out at all...I loved it :) Then today we're planning on having a pizza party with our zone and playing some games...it should be a lot of fun.

We also had a zone study this week that was really good and then afterwards, i went on a split up to Hochelaga with Sister Aymon and Sister Pearson came down here. It was so great! It was all in French, so not quite what I was used to, but I helped teach a less active member and then I also contacted a couple of people in French and got the number of a family...it was exciting. And it was fun to spend time with Sister Aymon. She doesn't really like going out with all the other missionaries so I haven't been able to get to know her really well, so it was fun to sit and talk with her all night. And it was neat to see different areas and be out of Concordia for a day, find out how to street contact, practice my French, all those things :) I'm excited to go up to Quebec and see how much I understand, and I have some pretty intense goals of how I want my French to improve in this next transfer so hopefully I'll be fluent by the start of next transfer. We'll see :)

Also this week we went out to lunch with the AP's since I'm not going to be seeing much of them after tomorrow and then we also had a "date" of sorts with 2 of the other elders on the island, and that was fun. Elder Wilson promised to bake us something weeks ago, and he finally made us a cake, so we all went out to eat and then ate the cake afterwards. Perfect Friday night activity (only during our dinner break, of course...we try to make sure meal times last only that hour) :)

For teaching, the week wasn't all that wonderful, but we have a lot of lessons lined up for next week. Gabrielle is wonderful; I just love her. And she's going to be in Quebec next week and I'm going to teach her there! It was SO exciting to find that out. It'll only be for the week, but it'll be fun to have someone I know up there already. Then surprise of all surprises: THEO showed up at church yesterday! After having dropped us about 3 weeks ago, he showed up out of nowhere, and on my last Sunday. I didn't get a chance to ask him WHY he decided to come to church, but it was fun to see him there. Someday he'll realize that the way for true happiness is through the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that if we put our trust in Him and work diligently, constantly trying our best, the mysteries of God will be unfolded. We don't have to know everything right now at this this second, but little by little the Lord will reveal things to us to help us throughout this life. And when he realizes that, he'll have to be baptized :)

But yeah, so that was the week! OH! And I got my package from the ward!! Thank you SO much; that was so sweet! :) I LOVED it :) Up in Quebec, we only get the mail from the office about every 3 weeks or so. The next time they'll be going up there is next Friday, the 29th, and the next time will be after valentine's day sometime...just so you know and can plan the package deliveries accordingly ;) I'm SO excited for Valentine's day...it's coming up in just a few weeks! I do have an address up there, but I'm not sure I want everyone sending things to it just in case I get transferred...not all missionaries are wonderful about forwarding on letters. But here it is in case you need it:
1341 Rue des Frenes
St. Redempteur, QC
G6K1B8

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I love you tons!!

Love, Sister Nicole Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment